Ok, it has a name, O’Hara. If it sounds like a famous movie character then you are spot on. The colour of the hull when painted it inspires it along with the period of the boat and that famous Southern Girl.
After a few weeks of getting the project back underway, I’m happy to say that it is coming along just fine.
The hull checks out correctly every which way (Phewww!) with a lot more attention given to each stage of the build.
I simply tack the bulkheads in with Superglue then once the bottom strakes went in (having ensured the deck was temporarily held in place to preserve symmetry) and triple checked everything I applied a thin bead of 5 min Epoxy to fix the joints followed a day later by a thin pointing-off with Builder’s bog. I was able to easily tidy that application up with emery and an electric pencil fite. Then the entire inner hull was given two well-spaced out coats of white Metal enamel. I will stick my neck out and admit that I decided not to apply t penetrating epoxy to the inner hull this time. Not because I don’t have any but I cannot see why it is needed. The outer hull, maybe, but do that anyway like we are told to, but internally, nope. If unsure. do it!
I am really in awe of the simple cutwater and so on it goes.
Next, I had fun and games over a couple of days getting the three masts set where they have to go, and with only the painting to go by, super carefully measuring everything, including levels. Looking spot on to me.
The deck is a bit loose fitting at a couple of spots on the edge but since it will be planked with 1.7mm timber that will be covered over anyway.
The hull is well protected during the build with two coats of spray putty (brushed on thickly, then light sanded).
Next came the positioning of the dual winch system. The prime consideration is that it will work and do so without any malfunctions. I freely admit that I’ve had more than my fair share of such and the old adage about “an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of Cure) is very true.
For me, every ‘tween decks component must be relatively easy to adjust, even totally removed and replaced with the deck glued down. So I’ve taken much time to position the two systems so they operate with enough clearance yet as effectively s if it were a single winch system.
No, I don’t use a very thick winch line cord. For setting up it is easier to use thick hat elastic as it conforms to the route the final Dyneema lines will operate and will work fine in setting sheet lines routes along the inner spaces and up through the fairleads. When that is done I’ll replace them with Dyneema braided cordage with an inline metal spring tensioner incorporated in each system. While I agree that for general pleasure cruising a tension device is not needed, once a boat gets sent off in days of heavy conditions, and further out than is probably wise to place them, non-tensioned lines can, and some do, spoil your day. There’s been enough said on the forum about that but if you are unsure, post a request for further advice.
In keeping with this aim to keep both winch systems independent of each other, you will note that I seem to have gone overboard with widely spaced idler pulleys. The ones in these photos are a mix of what I have on hand but I’ve ordered two more sizes so that everything will look like I know what I’m doing.
At this time I have worked out what deck openings I need, and in particular, trying to finish up with something like the default paint picture. I use templates to “try” these out, adding or altering them until it seems fine.
Hope this is meaningful and not too overboard, it is easy to get carried away if you are not careful.
More within a week or so, hopefully. 😎