Tern Schooner Upper hull prefit stage

Initial pre-assembly of the upper hull.

The finbox construction took longer as the two bulkheads needed to be made of premium ply and thoroughly check for sizing and placement. It has gone together very nicely and fitted into the upper half hull as it should. I did the usual glassed inner surfaces thing and made the box to fit th standard I’ve used in 3 schooners , so far. This means there are three other different total weight fin/bulbs that can be swapped into it if there proves any need to try them out.

As Gary advises, best to tack your build components together for this critical stage as when the lower strakes are fitted (tomorrow, hopefully) the hull will be ready for a float test. More on that later.

Following my great endeavor to do things better this time, I’ve spent 2- 3 days (well, part days) checking measurements, double-checking and coming back later and doing it again. Why so long you may well ask when your build went ahead very nicely, as it should.? But this one has a major alteration in the added 10”. Because I just added that the center of the printed strakes patterns I had to extend the top lines as best I could. No biggie there, it has turned out OK so far and can be modified a bit when the above deck railings go on.

The wood strips you see down one side of each bulkhead are simply scrapped balsa, all it needs to do is hold the BHs in place, using minimal super glue while each is being measured in and adjusted in shape to fit the modified upper hull. Balsa is very robust timber , why else would it have been used for many decades in rc aircraft if it wasn’t. But it will be removed when the hull is ready for final gluing and pointing off of the bulkhead joints. Unsure yet how they will be done, every boat of mine has had something different (none have failed).

I thought I might just use the recovered door ply for trial makeup, then redo with premium play, but I’m suitably impressed that it is really good stuff ( I’ve seen poor quality in times past). ( Read on, things changed)

Anyway, the hull is squared up and everything seems as it should be, even a reduction of 3mm off the top of the bulkheads to allow for final planking (over ply) as I’ve done on all my models now.

The transom is still test ply, I’m rather keen to give it a convex stern like the Flyer option. I guess that needs to be worked out and fitted before the lower strakes go on.

Gary has been known to state that if your boat looks good (or better) following a close inspection, it probably is. So far it’s working for me.


Next:  Transom & lower strakes pre-fitting

I‘ll jump ahead a bit here and say I’ve done that but also it showed up a degree of error in some hull alignment despite my having thought I’d double checked everything, The addition of that 10″ extra in the middle turned out to be a more of a handful than I was expecting.

Anyway, with bulkheads in place and a few areas needing closer attention I’ve shelved the hull and will start over with premium ply and a a more positive way of adding that additional length. and just as important, what to check to verify it is spot on, this time.

Even so, I have calculated (from the painting) just where the three masts belong and are very happy with that. might not sound like a big deal, but Gary will tell you, if the rigging is poorly set  you are not going to have a happy boat.

Back with more when I reach the same stage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.